Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by antlers
I'm confused. If COVID-19 is so deadly, why haven't more Chinese died?
You don’t have a clue how many Chinese have died. Neither do I, nor does anybody else...except the Chinese.
So far, it seems as though COVID-19 is more deadly for the sick/weak elderly and younger people who have underlying health issues.
But there are plenty of completely healthy adults...of all ages...with no underlying health conditions that are being killed by it.
Where are you getting your information about the completely healthy adults of all ages with no underlying health condition that are being killed by it?
https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus
If the case fatality rate for those without any preexisting health conditions is just 0.9%, multiplied by the 240,000 projected deaths in the USA...that’s 2,160 completely healthy adults of all ages with no underlying health conditions...dead. To think that completely healthy people (of all ages) with no underlying health conditions are somehow immune to being killed by this virus is simply not true.

I never intended to infer that healthy people of all ages without any underlying health conditions were immune, just that they appear to be much less likely to die.

I don't know how many times I've typed these words, but while every death is a tragedy for the deceased person's family and friends, it is also statistically insignificant in the holistic view. 2,160 healthy people die unexpectedly from other causes on a regular basis. Automobile accidents kill around 33,000 people annually, many of them without any underlying health issues.

Spread over 365 days, 2,160 deaths divides into an additional 6 deaths per day. Outside of the deceased's circle of family and friends, few will know of his/her passing.

You may find my approach to this thing cold,and unfeeling, but the numbers seem to suggests that over 99% of us are likely to survive this thing. 99 out of 100 seems like damn good odds to me.