Originally Posted by Seafire
not a gun, but I have one thing that I think is pretty cool and definitely old school hunting..
when I started College, a friends mom had been raised on the UP of Michigan...I thought you being from Michigan there Brinky
you'd have a mild interest in it...her dad made his living as a logger on the UP... and his times not working, in the dead of winter
he would make his living, hunting game and selling the meat...

This was in the teens and the 20s.. it was a red heavy wool plaid jacket, t was bought new right around 1900..
she had it in the closet, and when her son graduated high school, she asked him if he wanted it..
he didn't want near it... so she eventually asked me if I would like it.. I said hell yeah.. I loved the history on it..
her son thought thing looked stupid...

Still have that coat.. got it in 1970... when it was about 70 years old then...it has a big area on its back side.. that is part of the coat
a compartment to put small game... a button on each side, but its from the shoulder blades down to the belt line.. when I got it, It still had old dried blood in it.. and smelled like it.. I had it dry cleaned...

use to wear it under my orange cover jacket, when I hunted northern MN back in the 80s.. thick wool, and it sure was warm...

Along the same story of old hunting coats I have a pair of Woolrich red plaid hunting pants from my grandfather which has the lace on the pants legs below the knee for the
16 in or 18 inch laced up hunting boots so common for the period. The hunting pants came with his old Savage 99....