My Father is 71 years old. He’s not in the best of shape after spending 50 years of his life as a carpenter. He’s always been a nonchalant outdoorsman. He likes fishing, loves hunting, completely enjoys being in the outdoors. However, he was never “well off” and never had all of the latest and greatest like most of us do. ( He raised me to love the same but I am all in, completely infatuated, and I never stop with trying to improve.)

My dads first hunting rifle was a sporterized .303 that was loaned to him. Later in life my mom saved enough to buy him a Savage 340 .30-30 as an anniversary gift. He killed everything with that gun. (It became my first and I still have it.) Through the years my dad saved enough to buy a Winchester 94 .30-30 which my mother hunted with for many years. Then he purchased an Interarms Mark X .30-06. This has been his rifle ever since.

One of the funniest things is that my Father has long had a Remington 1100 12ga. He had it cut down and a poly-choke installed. It is the only shotgun I have ever seen him shoot and he does not miss.

I now belong to a hunting club in suburban Philadelphia where we kill many deer. The gun hunting is by drives with 00 buck only. All of the younger guys always ask, “what the heck is that thing on your dads barrel?” I always say, “it’s a poly-choke”. They say, “huh?”

He drops birds and bucks (as well as doe) with that short barrel 1100 and poly-choke.

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!