I’m referring to the old school equipment that we, our fathers and grandfathers used that the new generation of hunters wouldn’t be caught dead using. What got me thinking during this time of extreme boredom is my latest project. My uncle who is pushing 80 and now lives in California has given me his old Remington M700 .270. I have tore it down, cleaned it thoroughly and refinished the stock. When I got it in my hands I had to chuckle as the fond memories came rushing back. Growing up I hunted on a Pre NAFTA potato farm in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Once NAFTA went through the Canucks were selling grade A potatoes cheaper than the farmers could buy seed potatoes. Another story. At any rate we had deer densities of 75 per sq mile and my two uncles, dad and I were designated shooters. My uncle Frank and my Dad were the best shots with my uncle being a little better. And I inherited his infamous 270.
It was a 1980 vintage M700 BDL complete with the Monte Carlo wood stock, white spacers and iron sights. He topped it off with a 4x12 power Tasco (made in Japan at least) and a set of those goofy see through mounts. The trigger had been adjusted some and he had the receiver bedded with some clear epoxy. A laughable set up by today’s standards but back in the day I had witnessed some spectacular shots corner to corner across 40 acre fields that have left a lasting impression. He told me that he sighted it in for a quarter mile and he used the irons for everything under 100 yards. All he ever shot was 130 grain green box or my dad’s handloads using Speer 130 grain BTSP and a max load of IMR 4831. Nothing special but it worked. No range finders no kestrel no stainless steel or plastic stocks. Just damn good shooting and field experience. With all the gadgets and technology that’s in a basic Wal-Mart special it’s shocking how they got by back in the day.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.