Granddad hunted small game most of his life, but only hunted big game twice. The first time was Missouri whitetail at age 84. He used Uncle's .270 to drop his deer. The second and last time was also with Uncle's .270. He said it was "too much work" and gave it up. He was 87 at the time.

Granddad taught my brothers and I how to shoot. I grew up shooting his Remington Model 24 and loved it. (It is a JMB design. Granddad purchased it in the early 1930's for about $20. The forearm is a custom he had made, never knew why.) Figured I would not live long enough to inherit the Remington so my first big purchase when I got out of the Service was a Browning of the same design. My girls grew up shooting it. I inherited the rifle in 2014, three years after Granddad passed away at age 100.

The High Standard Model C (center-right) was also something I shot a lot as a kid - every chance I got, which I didn't think was often enough. It was Granddad's tractor gun. He used it to shoot critters burrowing into the dirt on the sides of the creek that ran through his farm. The pistol was purchased around 1948 for about $20.

Not much is known about the High Standard Sport King-M (lower right) other than that model was only manufactured from 1977 to 1983. Granddad had been off the farm for years by then.

All three firearms still shoot - and do so very well. Someday they will be passed down to my daughters or grandkids.

The Browning Buckmark (lower left) was something Browning sent me when they could not fix my Challenger. I paid $50 to have the Challenger fixed. Nice fix!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 04/22/20.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.