The RCMP falls under Public Safety Canada. That agency is presently under the direction of Bill Blair, the Minister of Public Safety. Make no mistake, the RCMP, the federal government and Blair will interpret any laws in a manner that serves their own ends. We have seen that in High River and other places around the country.

The government knows that Canadians have short memories. A promise from a politician is not worth the powder to blow it to hell. Should they need to "re-interpret" the law in the future, they will. Vigilance is important to keep them reined in and acting for the good of the country.

It might be cynical to say, but the national police and the federal government will do whatever they need to do to suit the situation. I would ask that you support groups who are not afraid to speak out in Ottawa and to the media. These groups would have consulting lawyers to help with the quagmire of laws and governmental bills, writs, amendments, etc.

Remember, we are not only talking about firearms. Get active with a political organization or citizen's group you can trust at any level of government. Be open minded. Let others talk too. A willingness to communicate and listen to others are important tools.

Join a group like the CCFR or CSSA. Chat with, or write your MP occasionally. Let them know how you feel about what they are doing, and express your opinion(s) on any legislation being discussed in Ottawa.

When you do communicate, don't come across like a crazy man. Never be scared to listen or ask questions. Speak calmly to others. For example, tell them why you feel OICs are improper and can be misused. You can also write any Minister or MP anywhere in the country and express your opinion. Tell them about any proposed legislation that you feel is irresponsible. Briefly tell them why you feel that way, but don't run off at the mouth

Even short notes work. Something like, "I'm glad that you are supporting the school board restructuring. Great job!" It provides feedback and builds trust.

That said, a wooden stake, some holy water and a crucifix might be good to have in your tool kit, should you have to deal with Bill Blair directly.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]