I was a fanatic into my late twenties, then I discovered motorcycles 🙄

Picked it up again age 56, when I started preparing to bicycle to New York. Hard to call that training, bicycles are a pretty gentle form of exercise, basically all I did was ride for longer and longer amounts of time with the Bike weighed down with about 50 pounds of gear.

Since then I’ve tried to use bicycles as a substitute for a vehicle where possible, keeps me in shape and it’s not near as boring as other forms of exercise. Bicycling is a godsend but it’s a pretty limited form of exercise, which is why it’s pretty easy to get good at it.

It really helped when they opened up a gym a few miles away that I could incorporate on a route to work in the morning.

One thing I had been neglecting though was hiking, and by that I mean traversing steep and broken terrain. Since this lock down I’ve been incorporating a couple hours of that a few days a week. A pretty good workout for back, knees, shins and ankles. And also neglected foot-eye coordination, when I started I was actually using a staff to help on the downhill parts, no longer needed.

Plus there’s a part I have to negotiate, up and down, clambering on hands and knees, also a forgotten skill.

I’d guess 90% of it is keeping active. I have no desire for supplements unless maybe glucosamine, don’t really care what my T is. I do have a sense that, when ya get into your 60’s, once it’s gone it ain’t coming back. Trying to slow that rate of loss here.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744