Originally Posted by devnull
I've got to ask a question here....This has been on my mind for some time as I'm dumbfounded by the pussification of American men. How many of you don't have the mechanical aptitude to change your own oil in a piece of machinery or learn some new skill? The skill can be anything from carpentry, welding, reloading, etc. I know of some men that have no aptitude for learning for themselves and just lean on other. I just don't get it....

Mom and Dad always taught me to learn it myself if I didn't know how to do it. This seems to be a lost art anymore. To me, it's not a question of not having the money, it's about the journey of life and learning something new.
Despite all the hollering from many about "dirty jobs" that pay a lot...the oil patch comes immediately to mind as something that pays relatively high wages for blue collar skills, what jobs pay the most? Mechanicking, oil patch, carpenter, etc. pay relatively high wages until they don't. Many require quite a bit of strength as well as skills and though the skills may or may not diminish, the strength always does. Unless you can move up into management or make a helluva lot more than most and bank it away, you are screwed when you get older. The jobs that pay the most are white collar and require college, not trades. Plumbing and electric, stuff like that...always have been in demand in the modern world and pay fairly well if you can avoid getting hurt.

Stuff that paid well and allowed you to have a modicum of being your own boss, like doctors and vets...even those have been herded into working for somebody else instead of yourself. We are seeing right now what the .gov and its owners think of small and medium businessmen.

All that said, if you don't make much money at your day job, you can save a lot by just being handy and smart enough to figure stuff out on your own.