Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by Hudge
Tyrone,
It’s a 16” barrel with carbine length gas tube.
Colt 6920's have a .062" gas port.

Perhaps someone here with a similar barrel that runs well could share their port size.
It doesn't work to compare gas ports for different cartridges and expect them to match. You're talking about a 5.56 barrel, he has a 7.62x39.

I don't know why everybody's talking about drilling gas ports anyway; nothing in Hudge's comments indicates the rifle is undergassed.
Exactly.
But it does provide a frame of reference. The .30's need larger ports than the .223s. However, given Hudge's .094" gas port, I think he has a problem with the gun being grossly over gassed as well. It's gotta be bigger than the Colt port, but I doubt that much bigger.

I do agree with you that it is an extraction problem with the bolt, but being perhaps grossly overgassed sure as hell doesn't help. A gun can be so overgassed as to rip off rims.

Sorry I wasn't clear on that, I don't like to speak in absolutes when I don't have experience with the exact problem presented. I much prefer to lay out breadcrumbs and let the person with the problem work their way through it.

Politics is War by Other Means