Originally Posted by Boxerdog
Simply put what are your favorite deer bullets and why? Any ones that failed or you would never use again?

What is your preferred factory deer ammo
Of the lower end ammo Winchester Power Points have worked incredibly well. They are hard to get in my area though.

.Favorite deer bullets - in the '06 we use 180 grain bullets on deer and elk. We find the tougher bullets don't expand as much in deer and result in less bloodshot meat. They work fine on elk too.

'06 favorite deer bullets - Handloads- Nosler 180 gr Partition, TBBC 180 and 165 grain, Hornady 180 gr I/L, Factory loads Winchester 180 gr Power Point, Remington 180 gr PSP CorLokt [these have gotten pretty soft , I use them less and less].

.308 favorite deer bullets - Handloads-Hornady 150 grain I/L, Factory loads-150 grain Remington CoreLokts,

.243 Win favorite deer bullets - Handloads-Hornady 100 grain BTSP, Factory loads-Remington 100 grain PSP CoreLokt or Winchester 100 grain Power Point [When I can get them]

.338 Win Mag favorite deer bullets - Handload-Hornady 225 gr I/L, Factory - Federal 225 gr TBBC,

.35 Whelen favorite deer bullets - Handload-225 grain Sierra, Factory 225 grain TBBC This is a hard bullet and doesn't expand on deer as much as I like but it is the only factory load I use,

6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor favorite deer bullets - Handloads-Hornady 129 gr I/L, I don't use factory from these.

Any ones that failed or you would never use again? I had a couple of odd results from 180 Corelokts in my '06 on deer about ten years past. In two cases I never recovered the animal though I saw the hit on the ribs. In the third got the deer but had to shoot her twice. I haven't used them much since but when I have they worked OK. I am still suspicious of them though and only use them occasionally.