I too still enjoy Rifle and Handloader. Yeah, they are sometimes a bit thin, but so are the rest of the gun mags. I tend to enjoy most of the articles, and eventually read them from cover to cover. I've let my subscriptions to all the other gun mags except for American Rifleman elapse. I'm about the median age (67) for campfire members, and my interests and guns are pretty wide ranging, lever rifles, single shots, and revolvers call me the most. That said, I've also got military style autoloaders, shot guns, bolt guns, and more auto pistols then I should. A lot of my stuff falls into the "eclectic" category. Articles I've read in Rifle and Handloader have helped me get several odd ball guns up and shooting. I always get a charge when John writes an article about a particular gun or caliber that I have than none of my shooting buddies have. He helped me get on track with 9.3 x 62, a Savage 23 B, and how to get my 1 in 14" twist Savage 99 250-3000 to shoot well.

I have to credit the editors of these magazines. You almost never see blatant stupid mistakes. A recent article in Guns and Ammo by Craig Boddinton on a Savage 99 had me choking and fuming with all the incorrect information in it. It's things like that, the never ending articles on tactical gear, training, carry, etc that have driven me away from the mainstream gun mags.

I agree it might be nice if Stan would show a picture of a whole custom rifle, and maybe even mention the caliber once in a while.

Last edited by jonesmd4; 06/02/20. Reason: typo. 9.3 x 92 scares me

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association