Well I am back on the Hawkens now. I have 5 customers who have them ordered. I have enough wood and parts to make 6, so I think I'll make one and offer it to anyone who commits to it.

The wood I have is 1/2 stock length and the barrels I have are a 1" .54 and a 15/16" .54. The wood is nice curly maple. I do have both LH and RH locks and breach plugs.

So the "spec gun" will be a classic half-stock 54 cal, and stocked in maple, but all the details can be adjusted one way or another.

I will get the 5 standing orders satisfied first (as well as 1 fancy Golden Age Pennsylvania rifle,) so the one I intend to make for spec will not be done until around Christmas, but if anyone wants a custom made Hawken, now would be a time to talk it over. Depending on wood and the amount of ornamentation done (or left undone) the price will be as low as $1450 and would top out at around $2100.

Options that are available that would not effect the cost are length of pull, drop at comb, drop at heal and the use of one of my hand forged Hawken butts. The ones I have examined have mostly had crescents with less dish and a more even curve (not as long in the toe) as those castings we see marketed today, so I use my own plates when I make a Hawken unless a customer likes the long toe style. Here are 2 pics to show what I mean.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]100_1479 by Steve Zihn, on [bleep]
This is one I forged

This one has a long toe casting common today.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]100_1478 by Steve Zihn, on [bleep]

Last edited by szihn; 06/11/20.