Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

A few times a month I shoot at a touch over 400 and out to a shade over 600yds. I use a short bipod sole at 600 but it’s mainly prone off a pack at 400 it’s prone from a backpack or seated off of sticks, a stump, tree or my knee. 12” and 6” steel gongs are the targets.

Under perfect conditions I would consider a 400yd shot but much closer is certainly the goal. I’m not going to lie and say I don’t want a 350 class bull but honestly the first legal bull I see with a shot in comfortable with will be in trouble.

I think you're in good shape gear-wise, and certainly, if you like how you are shooting from field positions out past 400, you're set there as well. Elk hunts have always been more of a test of my mental and physical fortitude than I am willing to give them credit for before the season. T Inman above mentioned that above, and he knows what he is talking about. Make sure you bring everything you think you need, but the most important preparations involve mental and physical conditioning, in that order.

I found out a local guy has hunted this area with the guys we are using and he said the same as you guys, try to be in good physical shape but mentally it’s actually tougher. One trip he was on a guy got turned around and ended up lost for a bit in brutal cold and about 2’ of snow and he got frost bite on both feet.

I’ll need some meals and snacks to make in camp, I figure some MRE’s or some of the dehydrated packed stuff would work.

We have a weight limit on gear and I just don’t want to not have something that I would need for food/warmth/lost.

Thanks again for the help

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.