Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

As for not shooting the first one I see, I can’t make any promises If it’s legal.

The theme of be sure you can recover them has came up several times. That’s something that I wouldn’t have considered. Experience like that are why I started this thread.

When hunting Colorado and on public land,you had best shoot the first legal bull you see as it may be the only one. Colorado manages the elk herd (if you can call it that ) for quantity, not quality. Unless you are in the realm of 20-24 preference points to draw a very limited trophy unit, or even 7-8 preference points, you chance of killing a 300+ bull is slim to none and in most cases slim has already saddled up and left. A lot of good bulls are killed in archery season when the rut is one. There are always a few bigger bulls killed in rifle seasons ,but most are raghorn 4x's and maybe small 5x's 3 or 4 years old. In 46 years of hunting Colorado,I have taken 4 bulls in excess of 300, biggest was 340+ in unit that took 22 points to draw. However I have killed a lot of the raghorns and cows too. I only hunt cows now. I want to hunt elk every year I have left and that isn't but 3-4. I have enough horns laying around.

I could not agree more with shooting the first legal bull. Last year, I shot a 5x7 opening day just before dark thirty. Not a trophy bull, but he sure has been good eating. I saw one other bull a couple of days later while deer hunting in the same area and would not have taken that shot due to range and brush cover. The year before I took an average 5x5 and was glad of it! Sometimes another hunter in our group will kill a better bull and often times not. I’ve killed a dump truck load of elk and never a trophy 6x6+. I like taking an elk early in the season and then seriously hunting mule deer if I have a tag.

Don’t overthink the rifle issue. Any good .277 on up will work with good bullets and marksmanship. Good hunting!

Last edited by WAM; 07/06/20.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.