Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by rosco1
Navigating in the west is a breeze compared to the thick flat east.. not sure why westerners always feel the need to worry experienced eastern hunters over it. Pay attention to direction, landmarks and incoming storms. All there is to it.

Well, my point wasn't as much about "navigation skills" as it was about being comfortable getting away from camp if there aren't any elk near camp. Some people are comfortable with that, others aren't. I grew up hunting the thick flat east and there's no question, it's much easier to get lost back there where you can't see.

There's also no question that growing up back east, you don't get much practice navigating by "paying attention to landmarks." Because most of the time you can't see landmarks. Just like you can't see landmarks out west, after then sun sets.

I believe that nav skills are the difference between an outdoorsman and a wannabe. If you have spent enough time hunting in almost any environment you will have been caught in the dark, fog, whiteouts etc. Descending the wrong gully or walking off a cliff happens to the unprepared on a regular basis. If you aren't an ace w/ map and compass you better carry bivy gear or stay on the road. The compasses are even more important than are the headlamps, I always carry 2 of each.

Do not underestimate the importance of having and consuming lots of water and supplementing electrolytes. Dry air, altitude and heavy breathing will have you assdragging, stay ahead of the curve and don't depend on finding water if you are moving through strange country.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC