[quote=Bearcat74

I think that may be an older number. Sounds like there was a reduction of elk in the area?

http://www.wapititalk.com/Hunting/viewtopic.php?t=9576
The access road does sound adventurous and I have a hatred for horses so the ride in will be a challenging, lol.
It will be tough but I think I will really enjoy it. I’d just like a crack at a legal bull. [/quote]

I will say that in 2018 I killed a decent 6 x bull in 54 and a rag horn the year before. In 2019, I missed a decent bull opening day, but it was way high in the rocks.It took me an hour and a half to climb to check out that I did indeed miss it.No doubt from the steep upward angle and I shot under him. Good thing to as it started to snow Saturday night and continued for 3 days.We stayed in our campers all that time.From reports of guys finally making it out,I would have never been able to get to the bull again to pack it out.Even without the snow it would have taken me a good three days,probably four, to get the meat down to where I could get the mules too. I didn't take my own advice of putting the safety back on. The elk are building back up,but they do come hard and head for private ground on the east side right away.

Just to get you thinking, here is the 2018 bull. The one I missed last year was about 800 feet higher up the same mountain to the right.The raghorn the year before was in the pines , in a straight line directly behind the the elk's antlers about 100 yards.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/30/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles