Originally Posted by gatekeeper
I wouldn't choose a Sierra for elk, I think the Nosler Accubond or Partition is far superior. And with elk being as tough as they are, the time, effort, money it takes to get yourself in position to take one, it's not even a consideration for me...Nosler.

Eggzackly how I feel. I watched my elk hunting partner shoot elk every year with the Sierra 200 GK’s out of his 300 Mag. Each occasion required one or more follow up shots. In conversation I would politely suggest that he at least try Partitions and see if they “clicked” for him. He was very hesitant to do so as he had been a Sierra guy forever. In 2005 I got my bull the second day of my hunt, and afterwards videoed his hunt. We had a nice 6x6 show up at about 175 yards broadside and the shooting commenced. Seven shots later, he was right at 335 yards before he collapsed. The GK’s had exploded on the hide on each shot (from 175-335 yds), with one miracle shot finally penetrating the vitals. I got it all on video.

After we got the elk worked up he turned and asked me if I thought he ought to try Partitions now, what my suggestions for loads were, etc. I let it be his choice to smooth the transition. Our next hunt was in 2007 and he was shooting Partitions. We’ve shot bunches of elk in that time and he’s stuck with his boring Partitions. Dead elk with one shot....ranges from about 75 yards out to 350...the biggest being a 376” monster.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.