Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Anybody tried the new Gamechanger from Sierra? It's supposed to have been toughened up

They are. I have a statistical sample of one. 270, 140 grain, 257 yard shot through both lungs on a pronghorn that dressed at 97 #.

Being an antelope in the wide open, I didnt get too awfully torqued about it, but he ran a good ways...longer than a double lunged animal should to put it in subjective terms.

Upon dressing him out it was apparent that the bullet had ice picked on him. Little hole in, little hole out, virtually no damage to the lungs other than a hole poked in em. I would expect a drastically different story with a big ol bull elk.

That being said, I used North Forks a month later on my bull elk.

exact performance I got last season on using one in 6mm... the one I got flamed to no end on .....by all of our "resident experts"..
and whatever ya do, don't call Sierra's Customer Service to inquire about the bullet after their recommendation didn't work out...

Used the same rifle this year, and but this time loaded a Nosler 90 Ballistic Tip instead of a 90 grain GameChanger...
Quartering away at a 60 degree angle, using a rest, put the Ballistic tip right behind the last rib, went straight thru the lung and was mushroomed under the hide right at the front left shoulder...the 4 pt blacktail with eye guards, dropped at the shot, as I walked toward him, he was huffing and puffing his last breathes....laser ranged the shot at 468 yds.. that mil dot scope helped a lot on that....

and no, didn't need a winch, or jeep to get him to the road, so I could thrown him in the back of my trailer...butcher figured 180 lbs on the hoof......

200 gr Game King, Federal factory load, 300 Win Mag, back in MN, last day of the season, as the sun was going down, and a really huge white tail, crossed a spot 100 yds from me....shot hit the chest at a 90 degree angle...deer went down on his nose, as I was running toward him, he jumped up and dived into the swamp he was heading for... it was about 10 degrees outside at the time...where he hit the ground there was hair in a 2 ft radius all over the place along with blood in the same two foot circle in the snow....tried to track him in the swamp, no luck finding him as it got dark real quick... spent the night in the field in my 4 Runner..
was out there at the crack of dawn... still to no avail finding the deer... it was easily over a 300Lb Northern MN buck...

talked to Sierra tech on Monday... told the situation... they told me that that particular bullet in a magnum was too hard to open up on deer at that distance, it would be better suited for elk at that short of distance... they told me it probably passed thru the deer before it had the chance to open up..... at 250 yds it would have opened up.... that next time using that bullet, in Federal Premium Ammo, it would be better suited loaded in an 06 for deer... still have that box of ammo... but never used it after that...

couple of seasons later a friend used the same factory load in his 300 Win and it dropped a good sized buck at 300 yds with no problems....on the spot, DRT....

So up close, deer NO... elk yup... at least according to Sierra back then....

I find this a very interesting reply from Sierra. What makes it interesting is, if he said what the post states, it makes no sense. The tech states at 100 yards the bullet didn't have time to expand, but it would have expanded at 250 yds on the same deer. Velocity is what causes bullet upset, or expansion. The bullet has lost velocity from 100-250 yards. How in the world could it expand at 250yds, but not at 100yds where it is going probably 200fps faster? Apparently, Sierra has developed a bullet that defies the realities of terminal ballistics. And he also suggest using it in a 30-06 would cause expansion, again, probably 250fps slower than what a 300 Win Mag would fire the same bullet. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. If you were experiencing over-expansion, or even bullet break up or core separation, THEN it would make sense to go to a slower muzzle velocity, like a 30-06, or would be better to take the 250yd shot over a 100yd for the same reason. That bullet is not going to expand better at farther distance than shorter. When we don't find the game, there are many variable left unkown. Too many to make any accurate assessment of what wen wrong. Perhaps the bullet failed to expand. But if so, longer range would only exaggerate this problem, not fix it.