The wife and I have a trip booked to Namibia, it will be our first to Africa. She is normally not a hunter, but our trip includes trophy fees for a gemsbok for her. I’m thinking of only bringing one rifle, a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 30-Nosler. I’m setting it up right now to shoot off a tripod. With the muzzle brake, she should be able to handle the recoil of this rifle pretty good. My other rifle, a .308 Win, without a brake seems to have more recoil than the 30-Nosler.

Shooting off tripods seems like a relatively new thing and I haven’t seen any hunting videos of them being used in Africa yet. The tripod I bought is a Really Right Stuff with the Anvil 30 head. So far I have been able to shoot groups with the set-up similar to off the bench. Most of the videos I see are guys using shooting sticks.

Most of her shooting has been off a bench, and we’ll be working her up to getting comfortable with hunting/shooting positions. Just looking for thoughts on practice whether or not I still need to incorporate shooting sticks, which I’ve never even used before.