I went to Namibia in 2007 and relied on Ingwe and John Barseness (both here) for info and references. I had a very good hunt and I don’t believe I took a shot without the sticks. it’s largely thorny brush country that you can’t or even want to use for a rest. Real trees are rare, or were where I hunted that was the case.

I practiced with .22 here at home to get used to where to put my hands and practice on consistency and control; this helped tremendously. I used a 375 there (not that it was needed but because I wanted too) and by the time I went, using the sticks came naturally. Shots came from about fifty to 200 yards.

I don’t think without practice with the sticks over about four months before the hunt I would have done nearly as well.

I really agree about not using the 30 Nosler when you have a 308. I cant see where you’d ever need it and what it offers in that kind of country. Forget muzzle breaks. We were often sneaking around and amid herds in the brush sometimes within 30-40 yards.