I got into a little bit of trouble after a 2002, 3-week cull/trophy hunt in South Africa, which ranged from the Karoo to the Eastern Cape. It worked out so well I offered to take the PH, my now retired friend Kevin Thomas and his wife Brenda, to the restaurant of their choice. They lived in Bathurst, and chose a fine seafood place off a pier in nearby Port Alfred.

We had pre-dinner drinks, a couple of bottles of very fine South African wine during the appetizers and dinner, and an after-dinner drink with dessert. The total bill came to around $30 American, due to a very favorable exchange rate, and the young waitress was outstanding, so I gave her a 20% tip.

After that she paid a LOT of attention to me, and one the drive home Kevin and Brenda asked how much I'd tipped. When I said 20%, after they finished laughing they explained that good tip in was 5%, and the waitress had obviously fallen in love with the "rich" American.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck