I suppose an Oregon self taught hunter would describe me. My dad didn't hunt until I was older and kept after him. I learned from wandering the woods, buddies, their dads an uncle and a couple of cousins.

We were loggers and lived in many ares in the state, especially NE Oregon and the Willamette Valley. moving to Portland when dad got older. It really limited my available hunting as i no longer had acces to private land.

I have hunted sage rats, squirrels, marmots, doves, pheasants, chukars, grouse, ducks geese, crows, turkey, jackrabbits, hares, coyotes and cougars (still haven't killed one by myself). Where my preference lies is in big game though. I have been able to take Blacktails, Columbian whitetail, Mule deer, Whitetail, Elk, Antelope and Bighorn Sheep all fhere in Oregon. I did use a guide ( I was 71) for my once in a lifetime sheep but the others were all taken unguided on public land.

I mostly use spot and stalk but I sit a lot on opening days and in dry weather now. I am surprised at how successful I am with the sitting. I could never do much of that until a couple of years ago.

I will be 73 this year and have spent a couple of rough years with groin and knee injuries and then got my left hip replaced a week ago. The right hip will be replaced shortly. I didn't hunt elk last year as I didn't think I could take care of one alone.
I did manager a deer with a little help from my hunting pardner. I have a couple of other isses related to Agent Orange exposeure also.

This year I put in for a doe hunt but didn't draw. Likely just as well. I do expect to be able to hunt big game again next year. Am starting rehab already.

Thinking about it a little more I suppose I am a Sitting Bull kind of hunter.