Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Be careful buying old used speakers. Many used foam surrounds in the woofers and mid-range drivers and the foam over time will disintegrate. It was the foam surrounds disintegrating that put an end to my EPI 100 T/E speakers. The vast majority of the old speakers that had foam surrounds, that are still working today, have had the surrounds or drivers replaced. When I ordered my Human 81s, at the time there was a choice between foam or butyl rubber surrounds. I went with the slightly less responsive but more durable butyll rubber. The drivers using butyl rubber surrounds are the only type he offers now.

http://humanspeakers.com/

You can re-foam yourself. Not hard to do. There are kits out there. I have done it. Need to do it again.

Yes, I know that most of the surrounds can be repaired/re-foamed. My EPI 100 T/E could not be because the foam actually formed the cone with some plastic material applied over the foam. Unlike other speakers, the foam was integral to the cone. The only option then was to replace the woofers. I could have done that as Human had replacement drivers for them but I got to Jonesing after the Human Speakers.