Too many variables to consider on West Virginia roads.
However, I find that if you drive with some sense, stay alert and scan way ahead for glowing eyes, you can avoid over 90%, closer to 99%, of animal hits without putting yourself at risk.

On my road, there's a scumbag or two that go out of their way to hit good animals. One of them brags about driving 80 mph where the safe speed is 30.
One of these days he's going to total his face with a deer.

You asked about coyotes? It might be someone's pet dog. Always positive ID EVERYTHING before pulling the trigger.
Snakes? They are the farmer's friend. I rescue them and put them on my land to rid it of mice. This keeps the mice out of my house and buildings in the winter. Foolish to kill snakes. Some, like rat snakes, seek out copperheads and rattlers.
Possums? God made them for a good reason. Pair them up with a good black snake or two, and your property has no rodent problems. So they take a little fallen fruit once in a while. Small price to pay for such good service. Just another old wives tale prejudice like the big scary snakes.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast: but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel.”
Proverbs 12:10

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 07/23/20.