Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Whats wrong with a fugging lab or a border collie?

Sheesh.....

No, no....I want some stupid, obscure breed of unknown health and temperament.

Stupid they're not, in fact I've found ours to be much more intelligent than many other breeds, but then that can be a problem. When you give them a command, they don't just say OK they ask "Why?" and you better have a compelling reason "why" grin. But not force or negative BS, they doesn't work well with that.

My communist friend is a dog feind in Denmark.

I bet he has some insight too.

He has had dogs like you describe. Not dogs for "amateurs" he calls them.

Yeah, not a dog for first time dog owners, and yet that's exactly what we started with.
But we made it work because we committed ourselves to the fact that the dog was now a family member, not a working tool.

Thats what gets me.

These working dogs get bought and the expectations are not met.

Lot of work goes into a proper dog, especially working dogs.

They either end up drawing flies on a neighbors property or at the rescue shelter.

Before I bought our first KBD 29 years ago as a first time dog owner the first thing I did was go to the local pound and look at all the dogs. I read the cards on the kennels for each dog explaining why they were there. The realization set in that most dogs(like 95%) aren't the problem, its the owners. That lesson caused me to pull my head out on what dog ownership is about. Unfortunately not enough people get to that point.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton