Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Some dogs are yard protection and some are rangers.

When we were looking at getting sheep we were looking at dogs too Gruff.

Pyrenees for staying with the herd.....and Akbash for perimeter work.

There is no "plenty" amount of land for a running dog.

True enough.

I've never owned a Pyrenees but I've been around and seen quite few. More than one were roamers....... and they're popular with retards so a guy needs to be careful what breeder he goes with. But that's true of any kinda working dog. Just that the odds of getting a dink are less with the less popular breeds. I fenced my perimeter, so as long as they get nailed once by the hot wire they seem to stay put. But before I ran that low wire, they were 5 miles away last time I went after them. I pulled their collars off and said there is no next time fuggers.

There are a lot of sheep owners around here, and they all think they have to own a Pyrenees All I know, is they don't have any idea where they are most of the time and when you drive by their sheep and pasture you better not have your arm hanging out the window. You will lose it. We have lot's of coyotes and some wolves, and they might do their job then but I doubt it.
Again all dogs are as smart as their owner. I would trust a Border Collie before any just because they are smart and can be trained..I don't know what a Llama would do with a bear, but they sure work good on coyotes!

Last edited by kennymauser; 08/01/20. Reason: adding comment