Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
The last dog shot on the place was a Pyrenees.

Son of a bitch was miles from home. By the time he bought it......they had run two heifers to death.

His buddy got away.

Might not have been a bad dog......might have been a rescue. Needed trained.

I dont think there should be rescue dogs above abot 10 pounds in weight.

Who knows?

When we were on the farm, my dad was a dog killing machine. I don't think he even knows how many he shot. I was about 7 when we were out in the sheep pasture. There were the remains of two dogs pretty close together. Dad said they were wild dogs in the sheep. Looking back, I still marvel how he was able to kill two so close together. Dogs are usually smart, maybe second deceased wasn't?

No one bothered to spend money to spay or neuter their dogs. Our dog, "Jingles", was a female and a prolific pup producer. Judging by her pups, she bred with anything. She was a grey and black border collie and German shepherd cross. Great guard dog and intuitive herder and a great patient pet.

Two things got dad; Chase livestock, you're dead and growl or act aggressive towards him on his farm, you're dead. Many of Jingles boyfriends fell into the black hole our farm was. Some travelled 7-8 miles. If dad knew who owned the dog, he would call the owner the first time. If the dog returned, all bets were off. We never caught Jingles chasing livestock until she was about 7. Dad decided it was time to remove the attractant that caused the dog convention. I cried when I was informed that Dad took Jingles on a one way walk. I swear I heard the gunshot as mom told us kids.

We had one of her pups I had named Bruno as I had just read "Call of the Wild". He was to be my sled dog LOL. Turned out Bruno couldn't chase cars worth a lick. He got called out on strikes when he couldn't lay off an off speed drive by an old man. Happened right in front of us as we were building a tree house. "Get the gun dad, he killed my dog. We can get him!" Dad didn't listen to me.

We gotta pup from grandpa named Sparkle. He puked in the truck on the way home. We went fishing one Sunday after church. Fishing was good. We rolled into the yard, and it and the barnyard were white. Dead chickens everywhere. 72 to be exact. 3 survivors. Couldn't believe it was Sparkle, or Sparkle alone. So we tied him up for a couple of weeks. We were tearing down the old barn and Sparkle had been paroled. Dad was on the barn roof and heard the 3 survivors of the massacre going crazy. There was Sparkle trying to dig into the coop/pen where we had filled in the previous hole. I don't think Sparkle got to go on the one way walk, he was shot where he stood.

The next dog i cant remember the name. We left the farm and moved temporarily to an acreage a couple hours drive south. That dog took up cattle chasing. Houses and farms were close together. The cattle owner advised us. Dad told him that if our dog was found chasing cattle, he knew what to do. A few days later, the cattle owner said he had shot our dog. We understood. A couple of months later, we moved into town.