I've more than a few 25-06's here in SD they work great on deer and antelope. I haven't used 1 on elk but know some that have. My 1 st was a mid 1970's M70 pushfeed bought used second hand, guess the original owner traded it off and it didn't take me long to figure out why, it threw a flyer on every 3 shot group. The previous owner screwed in the frt sling swivel stud so far it hit the barrel, fixed that and it was okay . Shot it with a 6x Burris never changed that in 35 years. Worked up a load not hot but accurate with 75 gr WW hp's this taught me that the 25-06 is NOT a prairie dog gun.. a couple of FN sporters ( build on 1) and F I the other.A XL-7 Marlin with short 22" barrel easily the most accurate of all and recently a LNIB ss M700 ADL. IT'S a good cartridge and will do the job but if you like eating what you shoot stay away from 3300+ fps loads with cup & core 100 gr bullets and only shoot straight thru the ribs side to side. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "