Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Usually the 44-40 was more common as it was used in revolver and rifle. Today's 45 chambered rifles used in cowboy matches are a new thing.

Not so, the 45 was the cartridge the most Colts were chambered for.

True but I mentioned rifles. The 44-40 came first .Many revolvers were retrofitted to accept metallic cartridges. The first 44's were rim fires. Which were common in the original Henrys. Even the 44-40 saw some changes when they started the 38-40 round which was a necked down 44-40. Sometime during the late1800's early 1900's in order to meet market demands,Colt installed oversized barrels ( .401-.403,I forget which at this time) in their 38-40's because they had more of them. The cylinders were correct, but bores were over sized .I had one of them until earlier this year....Very few rifles were chamber in 45 colt to begin with.

Not so, the 45 Colt was designed in 1872, then adopted in 1873 by the military in the Colt SAA. The 44-40 was introduced in the Winchester 1873 in that same year. Close, but no cigar.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.