Originally Posted by ruraldoc
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by Yukoner
Originally Posted by Blackheart
[quote=ruraldoc] ..... Regarding penetration there is a youtube video out there you might find intersting. It's .30-30 vs 308 vs 30-06 vs 300 win mag. on gallon milk jugs full of water. The .30-30 loaded with 170 core lokts and the .308, .30-06 and .300 loaded with 180 grain power points. Long story short the .30-30 wins by a considerable margin. The 170 core lokt being recovered, nicely mushroomed from jug # 7 while none of the others make it past jug # 4.

I demonstrated the exact same result showing the 303 British with 180 bullets at 2400+ caught in the seventh jug, compared to the 300 WSM 180 gr factory ammo, in the fourth. The guy with the 300 was astonished, and asked why anyone bothers with the mags.

Ted

So is it the extra velocity that tears up the C&C bullets and reduces penetration?

Yes,in general with relatively fragile cup in core bullets, there is an optimal velocity for penetration that tends to favor mild cartridges like 303 British or a 7x57 as opposed to Magnum impact velocities.

But things can change with premium bullets, Monolthic bullets tend to penetrate more as velocity increases, Partitions can do the same thing.
All true but you've got plenty of penetration and wound volume for deer with standard 170 grain bullets out of a .30-30 at any normal woods ranges. I have shot very nearly lengthwise through big whitetails with both 170 grain core lokts and power shoks. I have yet to recover one from a broadside or nearly broadside shot and have gone through both shoulders on numerous occasions. After killing more than 80 deer with cup/core bullets out of my .30-30's with no failures and no abnormally long blood trails to follow, I'm not going to be switching to mono's anytime soon.