Surely this thread will get some discussion and likely some will be heated debate. This is not my intent and in keeping with the spirit of the orginator....lets first agree that anyone who owns a lever action rifle is lucky.

I'd like to keep this topic about the best make and model in sense of a hunting, shooting, collecting and the fit, finish and overall beauty and craftsmanship.

I'm not asking which rifle is most historically important or even which one is most popular...but rather which is most desirable for what it does and what it is.

Lastly....which caliber would you say is the most perfect for the lever action rifle?

My picks:

I have always thought the Model 71 Winchester in .348 Winchester has to be the rifle I'd most love to own. The rifle seemingly more rare than the cartridge. I have been to dozens of gunshows in my life and have NEVER seen one of these classics for sale.

I think the M64 Winchester has to be my favorite in the way the wood looks and feels. Wow.....the action is so slick.

Personally, I own a vintage Savage Model 99. The rifle was made in 1923 and is chambered in the .300 Savage. One of the most aesthetically pleasing rifles I have ever seen. The rotary magazine is a wonder....holding 5 shots in the magazine and one in the chamber....with the ability to work with high pressure rounds with pointed bullets. Amazing! My rifle is a take-down so if you ever HAD to fold it up....you could. I wonder how many other lever action rifles could do all of that?

Enjoy the topic.

Last edited by periscope_depth; 07/06/07.