The .303 British uses a .312" diameter, the .303 Savage, a .308". Folks have confused them in the past, but they are different cartridges.
The idea that the 99 can handel super high pressure is one we will disagree with. They are strong rifles, way ahead of their time, and they inspire a passionate following, but a hot .308WCF is pushing it in the Savage.
The 99s are designed around short cartridges. These are at their best with light to medium weight bullets for caliber. These type of cartridges are deadly when properly employed, yet they lack the extra insurance of a heavy for caliber bullet when the shots are less than ideal.
The Winchester 94 is a fine rifle, especially in pre-64 guise. It has proven itself already, and needs no help from me.
The Winchester 1895 has always had folks lining up to dish it, usually on questionable grounds. I've heard one writer say it handels like a truck axle. Well, I've never taken a truck axle out hunting, so maybe I'm not qualified, but I find the 1895 in either carbine or rifle to be responsive and lively.
Sure, Elmer Keith dished it, but if word of mouth and period photos are any indication, there were plenty of folks who didn't share Mr. Keiths opinion on this matter.
Its funny, those who like their militaria seem to really like box magazines that hang way down on their rifles. I never understood why the small magazine of the 1895 drew so much flak.
Finally, spitzers in the 99? Well, the 95 can use em with equal aplomb.
Sometimes I think that those who are the most critical are the most heard. Critics of Winchesters have always been vociferous, but for them, thats why there are other brands.
I still vote for the Winchester 1895.