Mak wrote:
Funny, this whole thing has gone 1895 vs 1899.
I like Savage guns, always have, but all 99s are not created equal. The .303, despite its name, still used a .308" bullet, the difference was, it was loaded with 190grs. of weight.

The real downfall of the Savage 99 lies in the chamberings. Traditional levergunners like heavy bullets at modest velocities, and the only Savage cartridge to fit this bill was the old .303-the .250, .300, .308WCF seem to make up the bulk of the chamberings I've seen, all fine rounds, yet not one of them the equal to the old Krag, or the 30-06 with a good 220 softpoint.

Interesting take.

I always thought that the biggest STRENGTH of the Savage 99 was its ability to handle high pressure rounds including the fine .300 Savage and later chamberings in .284 Win and .358 Winchester (just to name a few). The Model 94 is a fine rifle and the modest 30-30 Winchester is fully capable of taking deer at any REASONABLE range. That said....the .300 Savage adds another 500 fps to the speed of the 30-30 Win with the ability to use bullets with far better ballistic properties.

Does this matter out to 150 yards? Hardly a bit. But to think that hunters REJECTED the Savage because it was chambered in a high pressure round...that doesn't make a lick of sense.

I have seen (and shot) some beautiful pre 1964 Winchesters. I love 'em. They don't HAVE to be anymore that what they are. My personal opinion is that the biggest single flaw in the Winchesters and the Marlin is that their most popular rifles (the Model 94 and Model 64)and I believe all of the Marlins were not capable of being chambered in high pressure rounds.

The .303 Savage is actually a .311 caliber. From the best of my knowledge it will shoot .308 caliber bullets without much fuss.

Last edited by periscope_depth; 07/22/07.