Originally Posted by AZ Southpaw
I've owned 1/2 a dozen #1s ranging from .223 Rem. to 375 H&H and they all shot well to outstanding without any tinkering, just my handloads. My current #1 will do about an inch at 100 yards with 5 different bullet weights. Sometimes it's a tad more than an inch, sometimes it's a tad less. Every other #1 I've owned has done better if not half that group size at 100. A former Ruger #1 RSI was very finicky with almost everything, but eventually I found what it liked and it would shoot clover leaves at times. Unless you are a competition shooter, I would not let accuracy concerns sway your decision to buy a #1.

Not a Number One in this case but the 77 in the RSI configuration. It's a .308 Win. and I got it for the sum of $250 which included a decent scope, dies, shell holder, brass, bullets and a couple of boxes of factory ammo. I asked the guy why so cheap? he said it was the most inaccurate rifle he'd ever played with. He wasn't kidding.On a good day I might get a 4" group but most 5 to 6" was the norm. It took two years to find a load that was a consistent 1.5" day in and day out. Used that for a while and go the bright idea to relieve the fit on that metal muzzle cap. Groups now run a more consistent 1.25" which I consider an improvement. Funny thing is I ran into two mare 77 RSIs in .308; all ridiculously cheap because their owners couldn't make them shoot decent groups. I told them what I did but they couldn't be bothered so I bought them cheap. What worked on the first one worked with both of those as well. So far though they're a one load deal, a top load of W760 and the 165 gr. Speer Hot Core. Works in all three rifles. i haven't tried much with anything else mainly because nothing else worked in the fist one. Since I did the work on the muzzle cap though, I'm thinking of seeing whether or not other bullets might now work.

One of these days I might get lucky and find a #1 RSI to round off my collection. A 7x57 woulf be perfect.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE