Well, the gun was legally owned and possessed and he shot at what he thought were intruders forcing their way into his home. The police say they knocked and announced, but did the armed occupant hear or comprehend that from a sound sleep? The shooter said he didn't hear it and thought his house was being invaded. He was arrested but the charges were dropped. It was determined to be justified, and as such, makes it legal.

I can understand how this could happen. A number of years back the house I was living in was burglarized in the middle of the night when I was out of town. My roommates reported the break-in after returning home from a night out partying. A week later the patrol officer who responded to the call knocked on my door at 3 am, for what reason I was never entirely sure. Waking up from a sound sleep with someone knocking on my door, after having been burglarized, I threw on my pants and grabbed my .357. I peered thru my window and saw the cop car in the driveway before answering the door. I don't know if he ever announced himself, if he did, I didn't hear it. Had he busted down my door before I could figure out who he was, he would have been met with shots. I put my pistol down and answered the door. He asked a few questions about how the investigation was going, that could have been asked at a more appropriate time and left.