I have read articles about Ed Stevenson for a very long time, some by Dave Scoville, Brian Pearce and Phil Shoemaker and a few others. The last one by his daughter after Ed passed away this last year. Stores about him were always an interesting read and big lever guns were always in the mix. From what I could tell year around life in Alaska was how he lived, a far cry from the many "seasonal" guides we now call a "master guide". He is a man I would love to have chased bears with. I seriously doubt I could of kept up with him.

As an after thought, I believe Marlin hit a bases loaded homer when they came out with the 1895 in .444 Marlin, 45-70 and the some what mis understood .450 Marlin. The 336 action is plenty strong for all three of those rounds, it is light weight, easy to clean easy to "customize". If a .35 and .375 caliber Marlin would come out based on a slightly lengthened .444 or 450 Marlin case it would be a welcome addition in my eyes. Good bullet diameter and weight for iron sight use on big game and the action is stronger as it is modified less then the 1895 in 45-70 is do to the large 45-70 rim.

Come on Marlin, make a new 336 action that is as long as your original old 45-70 action is. Then we cold have a couple of useful rounds that many would embrace. Please get rid of the side safety, it makes me cuss and does not belong on a lever gun.