This thread brings back fond memories. I met Ed in 2007 and stayed the fall season with him for brown bear in the Chugach. Appears, I annoyed him slightly less than average, and he agreed to have me back for the then following four years, during which I stayed two seasons total in the Chugach and three in the Talkeetnas with him.

Talking guns and hunting with Ed will always be amongst my most cherished memories.

As to your question, Kaboku68 hit it on the button with his #2 answer.

Both in the Chugach and the Talkeetnas, Ed guided Puckerbrush and Salmon Creeks. Joe Want, another old time brown bear guide, was fond of saying "I like to hunt bears, where I can see them." Ed always said, he liked to hunt brown bears where they are - and in his areas, that was the puckerbrush and devils club next to the streams. A ghostring sighted levergun was a joy to carry, always at hand therefor and hence, Eds choice.

Someone told the last Bear encounter Ed had, that sadly killed his beloved Dog Kiki. Ed carried a 16.5" Marlin .45-70 that day and was adamant that this safed his life that time.

Ed passed away this spring.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.