Originally Posted by Cascade
I've got this old sporterized 30-06 1917 that sometimes gets used for black bear or deer. The barrel is bobbed to 21", it's got a 6x Leupold in Weaver rings, and sits in a Bell & Carlson stock. Good old rifle that's been in our family more than 60 years.

Danged thing holds 7 cartridges. Six in the magazine, one in the chamber.

What do you think of sending this to JES and getting it re-bored, re-chambered to 9.3x62 for a rough & tumble medium bore?

I can't really see any drawbacks. Might top it with a fixed 2.5x, 3x, or 4x Leupold. Seems like a pretty good idea to me. Not that there's anything wrong with leaving it as a 30-06 either. It's certainly been one for a very long time now, over 100 years.

Thanks, Guy

Pictures man. Have you considered trimming it down a bit as well? Straighten the bottom metal, put it in a lighter stock, straighten the bolt handle, cock on open, timney trigger? What has been done to it? Back in the 50's, BSA would sporterize these things in their factory in England and you'd end up with rifles looking pretty good. More or less resembling a pre 64 model 70. Do you have any pics of the rifle as it sits now? I like your idea about sending it to JES for something new. I actually had one of mine turned into a 308 Norma and it is a rock solid rifle. I was cleaning a couple of mine earlier today and running the bolts and my sporter m1917 was actually smoother than my pre 64 model 70's, but that one has had some work done to it....Good luck with your project..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA