Thats a beautiful rifle John. Thanks for sharing. The same can be said for my favorite factory sporterized m1917's, the BSA model D's and E's from 1949-1951....:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
My model D^^^^^ closely resembles my other favorite hunting rifle, the pre 64 model 70. BSA (Birmingham small arms) bested Remington IMHO when it came to sporterizing these old military rifles. The bolt handle was changed to a more aesthetically pleasing shape and the barrel was top notch quality. The stocks are also a little slimmer and better looking. I shot my best offhand group with the model D shown above. It measured 1.057" for 5 shots. After I walked down to the target stand, I pulled the target, went home and put the rifle away.

My model E:
Started life as a 30-06, but now is a 308 Norma:
I still need to get out and develop a good load for it..

As you can see, my m1917's have left handed stocks. The original BSA model E stock was put on a rifle and I gave it to my friend, after I refinished it:
Thats actually a P14 303

This is a good thread, I love the old m1917... Great old rifles with a lot of history

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA