Here goes from a non gun writer.

1. Higher capacity cases require more powder to get back up to the pressure and velocity of lower capacity cases. In some instances you can exceed the velocity slightly above the lessor capacity case, but usually you are also increasing pressure.

2. Abosolute bullets are a form of two diameter bullet. This has been used to reduce pressure for a long time. Most notably it was used in the .264 Win. Mag when the cartridge fell short of projected velocities. It did help some.

3. Plus P throating: The +P from what I can gather is a form of free boring but it is accomplished by reducing the angle of the leade. A 1 degree angle was fairly standard for a target leade they may be going to an even more gradual angle, he didn't say.

Each of these things will initially require more powder to get back up to where you would have been without. Can you go above where you previously were? I think it will vary with the cartridge and in some cases it appears you can: 264 Win.Mag., 7x61 S&H and some of the Weatherby cartridges. I would be skeptical of anything over 100 fps increase unless there was pressure testing done before and after. All these things are good but the typical reloader Joe just uses them to use a heavy hand on the powder scale and then declares them a miraculous success.

Last edited by Tejano; 11/21/20.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli