Most Americans have been feed a steady diet of the lie "more speed is better" and in many, in fact most cases, it's not true.

I have done it all at one time or another killing more game animals than I can count in the last 58 years and I have used many many cartridges. It's been exactly as Muledeer said in his post: I could not see any real difference between how well the older cartridges and the super speed new ones killed game if I used the same type of bullet in both. And a bullet that holds together in a slower impact kills better, sometimes a lot better, then one that breaks into metal sand, because it's going too fast at impact.

In my 7mms I have killed game with 7X57s and 7MM Weatherby mags (and also a 280 and a 7MM Reming Mag) and I saw NO difference on how well they killed elk if I used the same bullets in the "slow" 7X57 and the fast 7MM Weatherby.

In 30 cals, well..... I have killed game with two 30-30s three 300 Savages, a 30-40 Krag, a 7.5 Swiss, nine 308 Winchesters, six 30-06s, two 300 H&Hs, a 300 Winchester, two 308 Normas, a 300 Weatherby and a 30/378 Weatherby. When Using a 165 grain bullets the 308 Winchester and 30-06 seem to do at least as well as my 30/378 Weatherby Mag did when killing elk and and in the cases where the bullets would not stay together from the 30-378, the 308 and 30-06 did notably better. Velocity-worshipers will scream, but that's the truth. I think of the super-mags as guns that should be married to solid expanding bullets like GMX and TSX types so 'blow-ups' don't cause problems if the shots are closer then 300 yards.

In my hunting with 57 years of it behind me as a hunter and a guide, and having hunting in many states and several countries, I can tell you that stepping up from a 7X57 to a 7MM Weatherby Mag both firing the same bullet showed be no extra stopping or killing effects on deer or elk and I do mean none at all. Stepping up from a 30-06 to a 30/378 also killed game about the same in some cases, with the bad cases in this particular comparison all being from the 30/378--- when the bullets broke up and the elk ran off a ways. In it's defense, I will say I never lot one, but the supper power of the big magnum didn't seem to matter to the game much. The 30-06 out performed the 30/378 if I compare the quickness of total kills on elk and deer with both shells. Not by a lot, but the 30/378 DID NOT beat the 30-06 and that is the point of this post.

So if loading your cartridge to get more velocity is a goal, I would ask what is the reason?
Speed = speed.
Speed DOES NOT = better kills ----------------unless you are going to add a LOT of speed, as in 800-1200 FPS. Going form a 30-30 Winchester to a 300 Weatherby Mag or a 30/378 is such a jump. But gaining 100 FPS over a standard 308 is of no real value however. Having killed a lot of game with 30-06s and comparing them to the various 300 mags I have owned and used I can say the killing effects have all be very close tho the same.

If you want to see how fast the shell can be pushed for the purpose of seeing how fast it can be pushed, so be it. That's like drag racing. It's about speed and there is no reason do do anything except to gain speed.

But if real-world use of the gun for hunting or even fighting is the end-game, more speed may work against you (for example, on a hot day) and gaining 50-100 FPS is going to do NOTHING for you for killing anything.