Originally Posted by CanadianLefty
I've been meaning to post this theme for a while and get your feedback as to what is real-world velocity increase due to some efficiencies (better case, powder, bullet, throating etc.) vs what is "no free lunch" and not worth the hassle.

I frequent other forum sites and there seems to be multiple emerging ways claiming significant increases in cartridge velocity:

1. Using Gunwerks or ADG brass- more case capacity? combined with RL23 (some claim other powders like RL26) to achieve 3300 fps out of a 300 Win Mag using 181 gr Hammer bullets. This seems very high and no powder charge was listed only velocity increases.

2. Using "Absolute" bullets from Hammer Bullets to get higher velocity. Claims of 300 Rum velocities from 300 Win Mag. and 300 Win Mag. velocities from a 30-06.
Originally Posted by https://hammerbullets.com/product/308-cal-178g-absolute-hammer/
Absolute Hammer we saw velocity gains in the 30-06 that puts it in the 300 Winchester Magnum performance class. When tested in the 300 Winchester Magnum the velocity gain put it squarely in the 300 Ultramag class.

3. "+P Throating": Claims, that with special patented barrel treatment can, depending on cartridge, gain 100+fps more velocity: "...can help you get more velocity out of your standard chambering." Video link here: https://defensiveedge.net/what-is-p-throating/

Have any of you experimented with these or are you familiar enough with the concepts to share an opinion? Generally, is accuracy adversely affected at all or rifle/load dependent? I'm curious and want to learn something new. My initial reaction is that you cannot achieve more velocity without more pressure (which at some point can be dangerous) but that is only part of the overall picture since there might be ways to be more efficient or lower pressure to get more powder in the case etc...and to state the obvious, extra velocity is only useful if accuracy come along with it.

Lefty, If you really want to go wild, see if you can find a copy of the Wolfe Publishing book "Gibbs Cartridges" for not too much $$. The 2nd half of this thin (c.60 page) booklet covers just enough data on frontal ignition & duplex powder charges to get you started. In reality, it may be an exercise in futility, but it sounds like a lot of fun to try some of this stuff. If nothing else it's a good read. Also note the disclaimer on page XIII. It says (in larger than normal print) that Wolfe Publishing is not responsible for mishaps of any nature which might occur from use of the loading data in this book.

When I was younger & more inquisitive I had the means & the opportunity, but had neither the $$ or the time to fool around with this. Now that I have the time, opportunity, & could manage the means, there's no longer any real ambition to try it. Life is funny like that.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy