Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Nebraska
We've always dropped our deer at the processor so we could get jerky, sticks, etc. but I'm thinking about cutting them up and doing this ourselves next year. So for you guys that process your own, do you remove all the meat in the field and bring it home in coolers or do you bring the deer home and clean it up there? If you have a nice setup for processing, I'd appreciate details and pics!

I prefer to gut them in the field and get them out and home whole if possible, but simply so that I don't have to deal with so much dried, crusty meat. Other people don't seem to have an issue with that though. I assume you hunt Nebraska, and if so then getting them out whole should be routine (I'd guess), vs breaking them down in the field and packing the pieces out. My critters are usually brought out in pieces though, and if it hot out then they'll go in a cooler with ice.

Regardless, any browned, oxidized meat can be ground and you'll never know the difference. I'd suggest grinding twice though. You can take all the trim and scraps to the processor for grinding, even if you cut all the steaks and roasts yourself.

Ditto what The Tinman said. He really knows his meat...

Fillet knives work well for trimming. I grind at home and also have a big stuffer that's used to fill plastic bags with ground meat as well as stuffing sausage casings. Large plastic tubs work well for putting your meat in.