Originally Posted by Utahunter
RickyBobby, I have shot traditional for 55 years. In a moment of insanity between 1981 and 1983, I shot one of those whirlygadget compound devices. I couldn't hit squat with it. Do yourself a favor and get a copy of G. Fred Asbell's book "Instinctive Shooting". Read it and then re-read it. It has much in the way of good instruction to get you started. Also, Jim Chinn wrote a book called "Wind of Change" that is another excellent volume on traditional archery in general. You are embarking on a wonderful, albeit sometimes frustrating journey into the "mystical flight of the arrow" to quote Ted Nugent. There's nothing quite as satisfying as watching an arrow, especially one made by yourself of wood, arc toward the target and strike where you're aiming. I have posted a take down Palmer Classic recurve in the classifieds, if you're interested. Definitely NOT a beginner bow, but ultra high quality and it will give you an idea of what's out there. PM me if you're interested in pics and I will send some your way. In my opinion, metal handled traditional bows lack "soul", although there many shooters who enjoy them. Feel free to contact me if there's anything else I may be able to help you with, questions I can answer, etc. I built custom longbows for about 11 years and know a thing or two about construction, wood choices, design, etc. Good luck with your new adventure.

Hey Utah, you sound familiar. You didn't used to go by "elmbow" on another forum, did you?

A wise man is frequently humbled.