Originally Posted by AML
You can learn a ton watching youtube videos on traditional archery these days. The Clay Hayes videos are excellent but there are others. Buy a good low-poundage recurve (40 to 45#) and get started. I consider a bow like the Bear Grizzly or Browning Nomad to be good starter bows and can be bought fairly cheap. Attend a trad shooting event when you can and shoot a lot of different bows. You will learn what you like.

Originally Posted by buttstock
Originally Posted by centershot
Start by buying a book called Shooting the Stickbow. You can get it on Amazon for about $20.

Next best advise is to buy and inexpensive 'too light' bow. Learn to shoot with proper form and figure out what you are doing without straining to hold the bow back. Think 30# or less. It's like learning to shoot with a .22lr instead of a 300Win Mag. Learn to shoot, what type of bow you prefer, how you want to shoot it, then spend the money on a nice one. Trad is a lot of fun.

Excellent advice. +1 on getting the "Shooting the Stick bow" book, and starting with light limbs (VERY important for learning proper technique)

Consider the Southwest Archery Spider XL 3-piece takedown recurve bow, with 30# limbs to start. Learn to shoot with it. Lower draw weight will permit more shots for learning, reinforcing, experimenting, and yes, strength development. New limbs are $75-80 if you want to increase draw weight. The Spyder XL is a 64" ( amo) how,came very smooth shouting out to 31+" draw lengths. About $150-160.
https://www.southwestarcheryusa.com...urve-bow-parent-1?variant=29613097517116

Arrows: Easton xx75 aluminum alloy arrow shafts ( about $3/each). Add nock, insert, point (either 125-150-175 grain), feather fetching ( not plastic), get TBE simplest fetching jig you can buy - to make your arrows. 3-under finger tab by Bateman. Consider Lancaster Archery as a source for equipment
https://www.lancasterarchery.com/shooting-gear/quivers-accessories/target-3d-quivers.html

Read trad websites (stickbow leatherwall, trashing, others). Watch YouTube vids by the likes of: Jimmy Blackmon, vabowdog, Arne Moe, "The Wedge" series, "The Push" series, many others.

Get "Shooting the Stickbow". It is the best $20 you will ever spend. Let Santa know. Maybe he will come through for you.

All good advice. I second getting on ebay or even a pawn shop find of an old bear, shakespeare, pearson, or similar. The vintage bows shoot with the modern ones and have a vintage cool factor along with them plus being a bargain. 20 years ago I got started on stickbow leatherwall. Definitely check out the youtube videos mentioned and you could also check out the the push podcast and facebook pages. I started with a slightly heavier bow than many suggest just over 50#s. I joined an indoor 3d archery winter league. Was a lot of fun and got good practice in. There is a video series called masters of the bearbow that is good. If you get real serious about being a better shooter the push guys have signed up with Rod Jenkins, Tom Clum and Joel Turner along with others for shooting seminars. They are well reviewed. https://thepusharchery.teachable.com/.