Originally Posted by lightning
I look forward to Longbeardking's postings every year on his Anticosti trip with Nan. He has a knack for taking great pictures, and taking you along on their hunts. I really missed reading this years version, but should make next years pics and stories even better.
I'll be 70 in a few months, and my hunting buddy now is my 13 year old grandson back in Vermont. We hunted hard this year, and only saw a few deer, but did have a shot at a nice buck on the very last day. It was about 8am and we had been climbing a hardwood ridge for about the last hour. We had just got to the top of a steep hill, which gave us a view of a nice little Oak flat shelf, and caught movement to our left. Sure enough a nice buck walking down the ridge, not 50 yards from us. I started to raise my rifle for what I thought at the time was going to be an easy shot. No sooner had I thought that, he winded us and bolted giving me a running broadside shot, which I missed. I'll be the first to admit, I am a terrible shot at a running deer. He stopped maybe 100 yards out from us, giving me a second shot, but thru a lot of whips. We looked for close to an hour for a trace of blood, but nothing. I turned to my grandson and asked "Are you as disappointed as I am?" He looked at me with a smile and said "Grampa, at least I got to see a nice buck!"
I think about that buck every day, but also think about what my grandson said to me that morning. It's not always about the kill, it took my grandsons perspective of things to realize how lucky I was to have that happen, with him with me.
My nephew, who is "Foss" on here, took a dandy 8 pointer, 160lb buck the first Wednesday of the season. It was a great time, and can't wait till next year.
Would love to take a trip to Anticosti with the Grandson, Son and Nephew some year. At my age, I better start making plans!

You also tell a great story. Memories last a lifetime. Stay well.............

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5