It’s very common and no matter how good a shot a person is, things go wrong through our own faults or not.

My worst shot on an animal was a WT doe. I was out in a cut block in tall grass and had a small herd of deer walk right at me, sun rising right behind me. I was nearly busted several times by a yearling and while I was trying to keep an eye out on the yearling, the doe I picked out walked slowly past me about 50yds out. I slowly turned while the yearling was standing about 20yds away looking at me and when I looked back at the doe her head was down in the grass feeding. I quickly aimed behind the shoulder and shot. The deer scattered and the doe ran over the ridge in front of me. I found her about 600yds later and while focused on the yearling I hadn’t seen the doe turn 180... In my haste to make a shot before I was busted, I assumed the doe was still walking past and made the quick shot. I put the bullet perfectly in the crease... right in front of her hind quarter and gut shot her. No meat loss with a relatively quick death but terrible shot placement and I felt ill for a while after that.

Pitter Patter!