Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

There's no reason for most people to own a chronograph. If you use tested loads from a manual and are taking shots at 200 yards or less, you don't need one. Please don't feel that your response was unappreciated. smile All the best.

I must simply disagree.

All barrels/chambers are different. I'm working with two rifles right now, that if I used max published data I'd be Waaaay over max pressure. In the day and age of an $89 chronograph I think it's borderline irresponsible not to own one. Velocity data is quite literally 50% (and more) of the handloading equation.

We'll have to agree to disagree. You could make that argument with people who reload and may not follow the recipes in their manuals, but if you follow the book and the rules of working up loads, you will not be way over max. There will always be exceptions, but I have never heard about or read of a reloader who was injured with a book load. Now, I am sure someone will chime in with just such a story, but they are clearly the exception, not the rule.

What's it like to live in the Stone Age?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery