This reloader can see both sides of this issue. Still, I fall on the side of spending the $90 to be sure.

I’m currently working with a long-throated 7x57 that’s been in the family for 4 generations. I carefully worked-up to the “family recipe” load, and found good accuracy with no outward pressure signs. While the rifle has many dozens of big game heads to its credit, the chronograph showed my 160 grain Partitions were being launched at a blistering 2,280 fps.

The “family recipe” was already over book max for the powder. blush

Nostalgia for the family history is wonderful, but I’m grateful I have a tool that can help me safely maximize the potential of this wonderful rifle.

FC

Edit to add: My experience with a Shooting Chrony was that, on those intermittent occasions when it did deign to display a reading, 'twas frequently erroneous. The device was perhaps better than imaginary toilet paper, but only slightly. I moved on to the PAL unit that's been strongly suggested in this thread, and have been very well pleased with it. The customer service folks there are excellent, too.

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 12/20/20.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC