Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Someone should start a thread asking about how to correctly use a chronograph.

Overheard at Cabelas...

1. Using a chronograph helped me see how fast my bullets were going and still be safe. I know they are fast and safe because I didn't see any pressure signs. My chronograph confirmed my loads.
2. Using a chronograph made me realize how much more propellant I could add. I increased the powder level until I got the same velocities that others were getting from their rifles.
3. Using a chronograph helped me determine what the maximum safe velocity was for my loads. It was easy. I just loaded what I had been using for years, but I actually got to see the velocity on the screen! I bought an Oehler so I could correctly measure my old loads. No Chronos, Caldwells, or Pro Chronos for me! I do not want to take a chance with a cheap chronograph and blow myself up!
4. Using a chronograph is easy. No skill or instruction is required. For example, I never worried about extreme spread or any of that stuff before. I was grouping an inch with my Savage 308, but after reading about extreme spread and the number of shots required to get an accurate reading, I am sure that I can build loads that will have single digit ES and therefore reduce the size of my groups to half what I am getting now!
5. If I don't use a chronograph, and just load according to the manual, is that dangerous? Should I buy one?
6. My buddy says I should just buy ballistics software. No point investing in a chronograph too.

laugh

The ignorance is staggering

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first